OPEN DAY FAQ
Our 2018 staff team - alongside our new 2019 team - have been working really hard over the past week or so preparing for our big weekend. We'll be farewelling one staff team and welcoming another. We are also officially welcoming our new Co - Directors Stacey and Hamish to their new job (and life!)
We have a lot of fun planned and wanted to send you a "last minute" hello to highlight a few things that you might need to think about.....
Where are we?
If you've never been to Mittagundi before then there are several ways that you can find us.
Mittagundi is located in the picturesque Glen Valley by the Mitta Mitta River. It is 50kms north of Omeo along the Omeo highway and 60kms south of Mitta Mitta. Look out for the sign, post and rail fence and a bright red mailbox next to the big river bridge.
Type ‘4385 Omeo Highway, Glen Valley’ into Google Maps.
Melbourne - Bairnsdale - Omeo
Melbourne - Albury/Wodonga - Mitta Mitta
Melbourne - Bright / Mt Beauty - Falls Creek
PLEASE ensure that you have enough fuel in your car to make the return journey.
Last petrol stops
Mitta Mitta General store (be careful relying on this out of hours)
- Camping - our "Mittagundi camp ground" will be well sign posted as you drive up our driveway (on the right hand side). You need to be self sufficient (bring your tents / seats / shade etc). We don't have marked spots so please be aware that we have lots of people coming this weekend when you set up.
- Water - we would LOVE for you to bring some (drinking) water with you if possible. We are on tank water which is a finite amount so anything that you bring along for your own personal use means that we can leave more in our tanks.
- Alcohol - we ask that you leave your BYO grog at home for the weekend. We have a bar open at our bush dance and also during our Open Day. This isn't a little request - it is a requirement as it will violate our licence (and our insurance) if you bring your own.
- Hats / sunscreen - it's a warm weekend on the radar (not too warm) so we strongly encourage you to bring a sun hat and put on your sunscreen.
- Warm clothing - even though the forecast is a warm one, please remember that we ARE in an Alpine environment which means that anything can happen! Make sure that you have something warm for night time as it can be chilly.
- Fires - no fires are to be lit throughout the whole weekend. We're pretty dry in the area and we certainly don't want to be calling the CFA!
- Toilets - we have three composting toilets on site that will be well marked for you to find. There might be a wait - but it is the perfect opportunity to have a chat! They'll all be well stocked with toilet paper / sawdust but if you wanted to BYO roll of loo paper we'd appreciate it too.
- Showers - unfortunately we can't offer you a shower HOWEVER we can direct you to the Mitta Mitta river just at our entry which is a great place to cool off. Please ensure that children are well supervised if you plan to go for a swim. We recommend river shoes / sandals to make life easier walking to and from our campsite.
- Cash - bring cash not card! We're running a cash society for the whole weekend so make sure that you have enough with you.
- Electricity - if you've never been to Mittagundi before then you may not know that we don't have any electricity. That's the way we roll. So if you were planning on bringing items that need plugging in etc you'd best leave them behind
- Mobile phone coverage - again we don't have mobile coverage. In fact there are many spots along the road to come in (from every direction) that don't have any coverage. Please be prepared for this if you have promised to text / contact someone when you arrive. You can't! The Glen Valley hall (where we hold the bush dance) has limited coverage that you may be able to find (if you stand on one leg with your fingers crossed) but not worth replying on.
- Photos - please take lots! If you are an instagrammer, use the hashtag #mittagundiopenday19 so that we can see them and share. Obviously you won't be able to upload them until after you have left (that no mobile coverage does that)
So what happens all weekend?
FRIDAY - Bush dance
6.30pm - late at the Glen Valley Hall. We will have a troopie shuttle bus running between Mittagundi and the hall so that you can leave your car where you are camping. THIS is where you will bring your tickets and grab your wrist band for the weekend.
BBQ available for purchase.
Bar open from 6.30pm. NO BYO alcohol
SATURDAY - Open Day & Dinner
GAMES for all ages, Sheaf toss, human tractor pull, crosscut sawing, gumboot toss, Mittagundi run and loads of other fun
TOURS - take a property tour with a young person that has been on a program and learn all about their experience at Mittagundi.
INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS AND DISPLAYS with wood, wool, metal, leatherwork and chair making. Fly fishing, displays from pioneering days, History of Mittagundi displays.
OPEN MIC - from 12 noon there will be live music on the stage. A fantastic opportunity for aspiring musicians to take the stage. If you would like to be book an open mic session, please bring your instrument and put your name down on the day.
AUCTION - At 4pm there will be the traditional Mittagundi Auction - items may include pioneering tools, handmade items, camping equipment, Ian Stapleton books, accommodation and activities, and many more interesting items
SHOP - our Mittagundi shop will be open with items made throughout the year as well as Mittagundi Merch (t-shirts, hoodies etc)
MUSIC - we're excited to have Mac Springs to play on Saturday night. Some fantastic live music for your weekend!
Food and drink available throughout the day for purchase at our cafe, BBQ and bar. No BYO alcohol.
Our famous Mittagundi breakfast (porridge) is included in your ticket price but we also have bacon and egg sandwiches available for purchase. The cafe will be the place to grab something sweet and a cup of tea or (plunger) coffee, and our lunchtime BBQ will have a range of options for you. BYO coffee cup if you can!
Dinner is included in your ticket price - and the bar will be open for drink purchases.
Have a great weekend! Please email / call if you have any questions - remembering that we are out of mobile coverage from lunchtime on Friday. Call the Farm 51597238 if you need to speak to someone.